This feed is from the NEW There's Something About Harry Website at Something-About-Harry.com

Is that the Light at the end of the Tunnel?

Feb 23, 2008

This week I am wrapping up what has been a pretty good week all in all.  I almost think I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Early in the month, one of my largest customers was continuing to go through a financial melt down.  That led to a great deal of phone and email work on my part trying to get things patched up and on an even keel.  The customer is still 50/50, but as a result I have brought in a new customer, and almost landed a second that together will do a lot more business than the previous customer.

I had worked with my previous customer for months trying to help them recover (while payments to your truly stacked up and still have not been paid). 

Ultimately, I had to say 'enough is enough.'

Meanwhile, I was working on a Joomla implementation for a client in January about the time Joomla 1.5 came out.  We made the decision to go with the new version and that has proven to be a serious pain in the kiester.  Its not well documented yet and for the lack of a better word, it seems to be buggy.  Its possible that its not 'buggy' and just extremely poorly documented, but whatever the answer is there it is definitely a royal pain! 

My solution, work on some other work while the Joomla community figures it out! 

I contribute to a large variety of online communities, but I do not have time to figure this one out right now, so I'll let everyone else that does do the heavy lifting and I'll come back in later.  That's one of the benefits of open source.

This weekend, I'm looking to get caught up on my back log of articles.  I have about 8 inches of research to convert into some very serious articles (for lots of reason these will be important).  I'm hoping to halve the stack this weekend, and maybe spend a little time on the side doing some graphic design on a logo for one of the new customers, while they get their ducks in a row with their IT team in India that will be handing over the keys to the car to me when I upgrade their site next week.

Last night I jumped into the weekend by doing some major SEO updates 9 of my WordPress sites.  There was a lot of uploading and configuring going on and while that was happening (lots of mundane steps), I played Texas Hold 'em on line and made out pretty good until about 4 am, when I was up by $15k and lost about $10k. 

This actually marks a weakness in hold em that I am trying to train out of my system.  I need to be able to do 2 things:

  1. When playing in a tournament and I hit fatigue, I need to discipline myself to play very tight.  I can play tight when I'm not tired, but when I get a little tired and I'm not self aware of the fact yet, I slip up.
  2. When I am not playing in a tournament and just playing and I hit fatigue, I need to pack up my chips and stop for the night!

Possible Next Things

I've got a bunch of possible things cooking the next couple of weeks.  I need to get back to Atlanta to do a few things on my house, so I can list and offer up some Georgia land for sale.  Every time I think of that, I think of Bill Clinton saying and if you believe that, I have some land for sale.  That's about the time I remember his Whitewater scandal.

I may fly to Vegas tomorrow for one day at Affiliate Summit West also.  Still debating that one, it would be 48 hours of non-stop stuff with no sleep except on the plain.

Then there is SXSW.  I was planning to go but my non-paying customer cut a hole in my budget along with a backlog of work too!

So I guess we'll see where it all shakes out. . . Maybe I'll be traveling a lot!

WooHoo ed by Unknown at 12:04 PM  


0 Gabbles(comments):

Post a Comment

ss_blog_claim=aa66f58cff59464a2b565a453e7059e2 ss_blog_claim=aa66f58cff59464a2b565a453e7059e2