This feed is from the NEW There's Something About Harry Website at Something-About-Harry.com
Jun 1, 2007
Wednesday night we drove all night from North Carolina to Peoria, Illinois. I drove most of the way, my wife took over in the morning around 5 am as my eyes started to get bleary. She'd managed to get some sleep through the night and so was in pretty good shape to drive the last 2 hours of our 12 hour trip.
The kids did pretty good on the drive. We tend to drive at night for two reasons.
- The kids can sleep most of the trip since its dark.
- I work nights anyway and I'm used to being up late.
- There is less traffic and no rush hour.
- In the summertime its not as hot, so you don't have to run the air conditioner as much, saving gas and giving the van more power for the mountains.
- The baby doesn't get cranky when the sun is in her eyes.
- The road isn't as hot, which saves your tires wear and tear.
- You are not as likely to eat as much at night, nor make as many stops for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Towards the early morning hours you can sometimes turn off the air conditioner all together.
- If you travel with dogs they aren't as likely to get car sick because they can't see out the side windows as easily.